Volunteers who live more than 30 miles from the Austin Convention Center may also choose to be an OOT Volunteer.
As an OOT Volunteer, you will not be required to attend the SXSW Volunteer Calls, or in-person crew trainings. However, the online volunteer training video and quiz must be completed prior to check-in at Volunteer Central.
OOT Volunteers will receive crew contact information in late January. It will be the volunteers responsibility to contact crews and build a schedule via email.
Volunteers who live on the outskirts of the OOT Volunteer radius are asked to consider finding accommodations closer to the Austin area. Your safety is our FIRST priority. Volunteer shifts and SXSW events can run late into the night. Fatigue and other factors can lead to unsafe travel conditions, so we ask that all volunteers take into consideration your travel requirements before choosing to volunteer.
Be sure to fill out the OOT Registration Form (not the Local Registration Form) when signing-up online.
OOT VOLUNTEERS ARE REQUIRED TO:
- Must be at least 16 years of age*
- Provide a valid, local address for accommodations during SXSW if living outside of the 70 mile radius of Austin
- Work a minimum of 24 hours on an All Conference Crew or Music Festival Crew
- OOT Volunteers must arrive in Austin in time to check-in with Volunteer Central and arrive at their first shift on time.
- Have a valid email address (no sharing of email addresses, please)
- Responsible for working with SXSW Crew Managers or Staff to create your own schedule
- View and complete the online volunteer training video and quiz
- Agree to the Volunteer Release & Waiver of Liability
- Acknowledge and adhere to the Volunteer Policies and Guidelines
*Applicants under the age of 18 will need consent from a parent or guardian to volunteer. Some crews will require additional age requirements. Check the OOT Crew Descriptions for more detailed information.