Updated 3.1.2022 Austin is in STAGE 3.
We are pleased to see that numbers have improved enough for the city to move to Stage 3 of their Covid-19 risk based guidelines, and that there is updated guidance from Austin Public Health in regard to how to keep both the residents of Austin protected, as well as the many people who come to town for SXSW.
After careful consideration and discussion with Austin Public Health, we have decided to keep the existing guidelines in place for SXSW EDU and SXSW, which include adherence to our Health Pledge (see below), proof of vaccination and mandatory masking in all conference rooms and exhibitions, and other indoor locations where required by the venue.
Safety is a top priority for SXSW. In support of our volunteers, the Austin community and our guests from around the globe, SXSW is requiring proof of a completed primary vaccination series against Covid-19 prior to attending pre-event volunteer gatherings, and before your first volunteer shift. SXSW will accept all COVID-19 vaccinations approved for travel to the US. It is highly encouraged to receive a booster vaccination, if eligible.
SXSW Volunteers are asked to comply with current health and hygiene rules, and SXSW’s guidelines regarding masking, proof of vaccination, and SXSW’s Health Pledge.
SXSW is using the Clear App with SXSW Health Pass to verify the vaccination status of volunteers. The Clear SXSW Health Pass will only work for U.S. domestic users. International volunteers must bring their vaccination card. More information on how to download Clear and set up the SXSW Health Pass can be found here.
SXSW is pleased to partner with Nomi Health to offer onsite, no out-of-pocket-cost COVID-19 tests* (regardless of insurance status) to all SXSW participants, including volunteers. Three locations provide flexibility to test throughout SXSW EDU and SXSW. Visit Nomi Health’s SXSW page for more information on pre-registration, locations, and hours of operation.
Both antigen and PCR tests (acceptable for travel) will be available at all locations. The testing process is quick and easy. Pre-register for an expedited testing experience, or register using the QR code provided by Nomi Health at testing sites upon arrival.
In addition to the above credential protocols, the following mitigation measures will be in place:
- Attendees, SXSW Staff and Volunteers are asked to adhere to SXSW’s Health Pledge (see below) while attending or working all SXSW affiliated events.
- All SXSW staff and volunteers on-site at the Conference and Festivals will have shown proof of vaccination.
- On-site testing requirements may be a component of maintaining your credentials.
- Masks will be required in all conference session rooms, exhibitions, registration, and pre-function areas, and as determined by individual venues and client spaces.
- Masks are strongly encouraged indoors in all other areas and where social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Social distancing of at least 6’ (approximately 2m) is recommended, when possible.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be provided throughout conference and exhibition venues.
- Increased public health signs, reminders, and messaging to support the importance of COVID-19 mitigation measures and good hygiene practices will be visible throughout SXSW venues.
- The Austin Convention Center, along with other event venues, have enhanced their mitigation efforts by upgrading air filtration, increased cleaning frequency of high touch surfaces, and sanitization of surfaces such as escalator handrails with U-V light technology.
All credentialed SXSW participants, including volunteers, should be prepared to follow Film and Music Festival venue entry requirements, which may at times differ from SXSW’s. Full guidance on venue policies coming soon.
SXSW HEALTH PLEDGE
You are committed to:
- Adhering to SXSW’s COVID-19 policies and mitigation measures.
- Wearing masks properly when required, over both the nose and mouth.
- Practicing respiratory etiquette when masks are not required, such as covering your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Exercising good hygiene, such as frequently washing or sanitizing your hands.
- Staying up to date with CDC’s recommendations for COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters approved by the CDC for travel to the US.
You will not participate in or attend any SXSW affiliated event if any of the following apply to you:
- You have tested positive for COVID-19 and have not completed CDC’s guidelines for discontinuing isolation.
- You are experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19.
- Within the previous 5 days, you have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, but you have not completed the Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines recommended by the CDC.
SXSW supports individual efforts and personal responsibility in combating COVID-19 and reserves the right to revoke or suspend access to anyone in connection with this Pledge in service of the health and safety of its attendees and participants.
*SXSW is not a medical provider and does not guarantee the accuracy of the testing results, the conditions of the testing process or any impacts upon your health from testing. Please consult your medical provider with any questions regarding any personal health conditions prior to testing.